Friday, August 25, 2006

SHINYA AOKI PRE-FIGHT INTERVIEW

Thanks to Tensei for translation. Jason Black was unavailable.

- My mentality is as usual. I don’t feel different about being in Pride, and just because I’m in a fight I don’t feel anything special about it too. I think I should be in my best form for the fight.

- My impression of Jason Black…he’s white, haha. That’s about it. I think he’s pretty good on the ground, but I think I’m better. His mentality of winning by submission is very good, I should take notes from him haha. He’s like me, somewhat big for this division. The cutting this time was pretty good. I was pretty small to be fighting in Shooto at 76kg, but I didn’t think the weight would drop this smoothly. I realized after cutting but I think this is my best weight at this point.

- It’s just my personal opinion, but I think my ground game’s the best, so I’m just out working hard to prove my personal opinion. I don’t have a game plan, but I have an image of how I’ll pull off the win. Regardless of the circumstance I think my body will react, and I always think going into a fight that I’ll be winning with a sub, so it’s the same as usual. In Pride, I think Big Nog and Fabricio are good grapplers. But I won’t be the “New Nogueira,” I’ll be the “New Imanari” haha. By the way Imanari told me to be careful because the Pride fight times are long. But grappling matches often have 10 minute first rounds, and it’s sometimes easier to have longer rounds for grappling.

- The number of subs I can use? I should say something like 2000 for you guys, haha. I don’t usually do those kinds of lip service, but my moves are all textbooks, I just have a lot of “transitions into techniques.” I can’t brag like I have a couple thousand……maybe as much as the stars in the sky? haha

- For the fans that see me for the first time, I want them to see….my face. Haha seriously, I really want them to see the ground techniques, the accuracy of submissions. People tend to think subs are bland, but I will show a flashy and attractive submission game. Ofcourse, if I have a chance to pull off a flying something then I definitely will go for it.

- To get here I’ve been helped and supported by a lot of people, so I want to show them a great fight. After making weight I want to eat and fight in a good condition.
*Jason Black flew in late, therefore was not present for the interview.

No comments: