Friday, August 25, 2006

DAN HENDERSON vs KAZUO MISAKI Pre-Fight Interview

All thanks and praise to Tensei for putting all these together. I won't usually hold non-opinion stuff like this, but it's not really available most other places to english-speakers.

KAZUO MISAKI
- My mind-state right now is calm, just waiting for the time. This time I cleaned my room with the determination that I may not make it back alive…well, I’m pretty clean so it wasn’t that messy anyways haha.

- Of course I want to win against Henderson in this rematch. I’m in this match with the intent to take it all. But in this fight, I want to be able to show what I’m about more so than the results. It’s not me who decides who wins or loses, that’s up to god to decide the outcome. I’m fine as long as I can do 100% of what I’m capable of. If I can give it all and lose then I have no regrets, and if I win then it’ll add to my confidence.

- When I went to the states and trained with Ricardo Almeida, it was more MMA than jiujitsu. In his dojo there were champs, big fighters, amateur fighters that were strong, and it was a fulfilling training period. I also did some training in the gi. He taught me techniques I didn’t know about, and it really brought me back to the basics. It reminded me of the time when I first started doing judo and martial arts. “Pounce the opponent in front of you, beat the opponent in front of you,” that feeling. If I can mix his techniques and my own decisiveness, and pull out all of my abilities, then it’ll be good. I need to dig deep and get back to the basics.

- Henderson said “you can’t get that much stronger in a couple months?” I think so too, haha. But the same goes for him too. What’s different is that I still have a lot more room for improvement than him. He was my goal ever since I started, and in terms of age, experience, and mentality, there’s still a large gap that I have yet to fill. Before he was simply the stronger fighter, but in a fight anything happens. Even in a rematch this soon there might be some growth. That, you just have to find out in the fight.

- This time I just want to let out 100% of my potential, so it’s not like a win-or-bust situation for me. If I give 100% of my potential and lose, then that just means it wasn’t enough. I just gotta do what I gotta do. Before I said I will win no matter what, but since my last fight my thinking changed. I will win, well every fighter thinks that.

- Saturday will surely be an exciting fight, so I want the fans to support us with their energy.


DAN HENDERSON





- The reason I’m tanned isn’t because I did something special, when I was at my home in California it just naturally became like this. I’m easily tanned, I’m not necessarily competing with the always tanned Misaki haha.

- Watching the Opening round, I think there are a bunch of tough fighters overall. With that many tough fighters it’ll be a good stage to test my skill. Filho and Kang are named as some of the favorites for the GP, but in a match anything can happen so you never know who will advance. But as a champ ready to take them on, I have nothing to fear. Right now I’m just focusing on the Misaki fight. I didn’t do anything technical for the training, I just trained myself to a good condition.

- When Misaki fought Baroni it has only been two months since my match, so I don’t know too much about where he improved. But any fighter will become better with more experience. At any rate, Misaki is a very tough fighter and should not be taken lightly.

- But I still intend to stand on top. I won’t let anyone take that away. I just took this rematch offer because Pride gave it to me, I will beat down anyone in front of me. Do I have confidence that I will win the WW GP again? If I didn’t have that confidence then I wouldn’t be here.

No comments: