Friday, August 25, 2006

HATSU HIOKI vs. JEFF CURRAN Pre-Fight Interview

All praise to Jesus...err....Tensei

- I just feel that my match is approaching. I don’t especially feel any pressure. I’m usually able to turn nervousness to my advantage. My condition is great, all my techniques should be functioning well.

- I saw several of Curran’s videos, he’s also well rounded and his submissions are especially strong. I am going to be watching out for his guillotines and triangles from the guard. Other than that, he seems tough and persistent. I think he’ll be a good opponent for me.

- It’s my first time fighting in Pride, everyone around me is hyped and there will be 130 people coming to cheer me just in terms of the people related to my gym. For the fans that will see me the first time, I want them to see the Strike-Throw-Submit interaction that is unique to MMA. I’m not going to change my style because it’s Pride, instead I’ll fight the same way I usually do. I believe that if I’m able to fight at my pace, the performance will naturally be received well by the audience. I trained hard for this fight, so I will relax for the rest of the time leading up to the fight.


JEFF CURRAN

- I’m very excited to be in Pride for the first time. They gave me the opportunity to be in such a big show, I want to give it everything I got. I always wanted to be in Pride, it’s an exciting show for those that are watching too. I was getting all pumped up watching the fighter intro clips, haha.

- In this fight, I want to show the best performance of my career as a fighter. That way hopefully I can continue to participate in Pride. My strongest point as a fighter is my high level of technique. I’m also confident that I can fight intelligently. It’ll be a very tough fight for my opponent because I have a low chance of making mistakes. I think he’ll be very frustrated because the fight won’t go according to his game plan. I also have confidence in the power of my punches. On the ground I’ll go for a submission victory too.

- Hioki is an all-round fighter, and he’s proven that he’s a good fighter with his record. I think he’s talented, and he can stand as well as submit. His reach is long so he has an advantage in his boxing too. But in terms of physical strength, I can overcome him. Can he still stand after taking my punches?

- There’s danger lurking in every fight. As for me, the key point in this fight is power. If you ask what’s his most dangerous skill, you can say everything. Also, I’m not the type to formulate a deep game plan before the fight, I just go with the flow on the ring so I’m ready for whatever he brings to the table.

- I did special training for this fight. I usually do my routine training, but with each opponent I make slight adjustments. Also, I fine tuned my condition and technique. This time I want to fight smart. I’ll just say that I trained in a way where I can keep fighting in a good condition even if it becomes a long fight.

- Hioki wants to have a fight with a lot of Strike-Throw-Submit action? Same goes for me. Both of us are smooth on the ground and have good takedown technique. I’m confident in my punches too. It’ll be exactly what the fans want.

- Do I want to fight the champion Gomi? I can’t really say anything at this point, but if they will give me the match then I will love to take it. Personally, I think since Aurelio beat him, Aurelio is the rightful champion at this point. But Gomi is a super star, even if it’s a non-title match I’d like to take him on.

- A lot of fans probably think of me as a ZST fighter. I intend to step on the ring representing ZST. I appreciate what ZST has done for me, and ZST is a great event too. For ZST who gave me good experience, and for my team, I would like to fight representing them. I want a good result.

No comments: