Thursday, August 24, 2006

SEIICHI IKEMOTO VS DAISUKE NAKAMURA Interview
Tensei absolute rocks, and has done these translations of the pre-fight interviews, so I am going to post them here for easy access, with his permission.


SEIICHI IKEMOTO


- I trained hard to be in Bushido once again. I thought that if I beat Matsushita convincingly at Real Rhythm (DEEP Spin-off) then I would have a chance, I feel that I'm off to a good start. I think it was for the better that this is a "challenge" match, it makes my circumstance very clear.

- I made alot of mistakes in the Yves fight. He came at me with combinations, I was only able to answered with single shots. I felt that my striking could still use alot of work. In terms of defense, I couldn't show anything I trained for at Team Yoshitaka, I didn't get receive any huge hits but I couldn't show the counters I learned at the boxing gym. Also, I never went for takedowns before, so even though I was losing the stand up battle I couldn't take him down. Therefore I kept continuing with the stand up, I felt I was incomplete in MMA.

- I'm the type of guy that wants to try many things, so I pick a theme for every fight. In the Matsushita fight I decided I will KO him in the first round with a flying knee, and I was able to do that. I need to pick a theme again, but Nakamura is someone I wanted to fight for a long time so I'm really excited about it. I think our styles will make an exciting fight, and he really does the same kind of moves that I would do in a situation. He's U-style and that's how he wins, so I'm excited for this bout.

- Also, Nakamura is good at short punches as well as counter hooks. He doesn't retreat in the stand up so I think he's a tough guy as well. Like me, his takedown isn't that strong, he is flexible and he's hard to sub. His bridge seems strong, so I think he's good at reversals as well. If it goes to the ground then I want to move around to be exciting for the audience.

- The owner at RiRoots Conan where I started MMA was also an ex-U style fighter, and the subs I learned are U style as well. I think he wants to as well, but I really want to go for armlocks and Victor-type techniques.

- Ever since the Real Rhythm match was cancelled I always wanted to fight him, and I'm glad that it happened in front of such a large audience. Ofcourse if I lose here it's over, so it's a must that I win. That's my two themes for this match. Win convincingly, and become one of the fighters on the main cards. I will move as much as I can on Saturday's match. I have the U style pride too, so I want to go for a sub with the Real U style.


DAISUKE NAKAMURA


- I slept early yesterday so I woke up early today. I changed my geta-sandals because it was all worn down, it wasn't because of a special superstition. It is my "lucky sandals" though. Did my body get bigger? I did a little weights, but I'm not doing anything special.

- This is another chance for me in Bushido, it's a challenge match but I want to get the results and make it back into the main cards. In the Aurelio match I couldn't move that well and I have some regrets. Losing in a part of it, but it also has to do with being trapped in Aurelio's pacing and style. This is a challenge match so if I do a shitty match then there won't be another. I will fight with that fact in mind.

- I do realize that it's the "U style DNA match" but Ikemoto is one of my favorite fighters. His fights have alot of movement, so I want to give him all that I got and fight. Ikemoto's aggressive submission style I think is close to the U style, and I can only fight in a way where I'm always moving around so I'll just fight as usual. I always listen to the UWF theme song before fights to pump me up, so it's nothing special this time around.

- I want the fans to see me fight my hardest til the bell rings, and I want to give everything I got for the fight. Of course, I will go for a submission win.

No comments: