Friday, August 25, 2006

AKIHIRO GONO vs GERARD MOUSASI Pre-Fight Interview

Credit to Tensei

AKIHIRO GONO

- Man we’re in huge trouble…I came into Nagoya but the dancers are arriving on that day. I told everyone to practice on their own and I gave them the video, but it’ll be right before the event itself when we all rehearse. I’m okay, I’m worried that we won’t be on the same beat.

- It should be good, we increased the budget this time. Where did the budget increase come from? From my fight money last time. My own pocket, haha. I want to do something different everytime for the fans who come out to see the event. You need the appropriate investment for that. Not that I have any chance of seeing any returns on it.

- I’ll just say one thing to the fans that will come over. This performance is dependent on the audience to catch the joke. Please make sure you catch the damn joke! I hope everyone will have sharp wits and will see what I’m trying to express. “Ohhh I see,” “I can’t believe he said that!” That’s the kind of reaction I’m looking for. Well, whether you like it or not isn’t my responsibility.

- I don’t really know much about Mousasi. I mean, in the three fights he fought Japanese guys he only did one-two combinations. He’s an amateur boxing world champion right? Great. In terms of just punches, I’m above the level of Japan. I think I’m on a world-wide level. I think I’m at least around OPBF level. I even think I have a shot at becoming a champion in Japanese boxing. So I’m above the level of a Dutch amateur boxing champ. If it’s possible I’d like to put on boxing gloves and fight him in a boxing match. I want to try to see who’s better.

- When I was his age I had some amount of talent, and some people called me a prodigy. But now I have a lot of experience instead. I’ll show him what a vet is like. Afterall, I’m “Magic Man” (*OTers flame away). I gave myself that nickname haha. Some boxer had that nickname and I jacked it from there, but my entrance, fighting, everything is jacked too. That’s what learning is, jacking.

- I look weak, and as a farming civilization we’re not physically as strong. In Pride I have a pretty small frame too. So people think they can win, but they end up falling into my pace. That’s Magic Man! This fight will be like magic, and he’ll be in my world before you know it.

- Until the fight I want to wander around the city, maybe enter a book store and spend an elegant holiday. I think most people are looking forward to my entrance rather than my fight, but that’s ok. My entrance improved but my fight is okay, but I’ll try to make it for you guys so yo ro shi ku!

GERARD MOUSASI

- I got the scar beneath my right eye when I got punched during sparring. Usually my partner is very careful about these things though. It’s just an accident, haha.

- I wasn’t really satisfied with how the Opening round fight went. I really wanted to be more aggressive when I got his back but I was too cautious about his subs and couldn’t really go all out. In the Gono match I want to fight like I usually do.

- I’m a striker, but I trained a lot of ground work during this time. I worked a lot on controlling the opponent and punching in various situations. I also did some weight training and so I’m more powerful now too.

- Gono is a tough fighter and it’s hard to stop his movements. He’s undoubtedly a good fighter. I respect his boxing skills but I’m better. Gono said he’ll use plenty of time to hurt me? He’s a funny guy, he probably just says those things haha.

- I think Gono is looking for ways to tire out the opponent, but I won’t fall for that. I don’t mind standing or the ground, but standing is better for KO. It’ll be a tough fight but I’ll be the winner.

- I’m looking forward to Gono’s entrance performance too haha. If he takes time like that entering then I can spend that time focusing in the ring, and I can warm up too. The audience will be in an uproar as well. If I was good at dancing then I could dance too, but I don’t think that’s my character haha.

No comments: